The parish of the Sacred Heart traces its origins to 1889 when the Catholics of Mill Hill attended Mass in the chapel of the Daughters of Charity on the Ridgeway. As the population of Mill Hill grew, three churches were built in the area in the 1920s, which are still around today, including the Sacred Heart.
The original church was built in the middle of three well fields and as a consequence became unstable. It was therefore demolished in 1994. The architects for the new church were PRC partnership. The foundation for the new church was blessed by Bishop Vincent Nichols on June 21st, 1994. The first Mass was celebrated by Fr. Aidan McGing c.m., parish priest on Passion Sunday, April 8th, 1995.